St. George’s has recently signed up to the Parish Giving Scheme, which enables you to set up regular giving with the church through a Direct Debit System. This system does not cost St. George’s anything in fees, so your whole donation comes to the church and takes some of the workload of setting up new donations away from volunteers like our treasurer.
Why use the Parish Giving Scheme?
The scheme enables you to:
- Give monthly, quarterly or annually by Direct Debit
- Sign up to inflation linked giving annually, if you choose
- Enhance your gift to the parish by having Gift Aid at 25% added to your giving
- Give anonymously, if you prefer
- Give securely
How do I set it up?
There are three ways in which you can set up a Direct Debit to give regularly to St. George’s:
- Via paper ‘Gift Form’ – available from your PGS parish representative
- Via their telephone service on 0333 002 1271, Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm (You will need to quote our Parish Code: 060606196 – Ramsgate: St. George, Canterbury Diocese). The call usually takes about 10 minutes to complete. They will then send you a confirmation of your new gift by post or email.
- Via this website
What happens when I sign up online?
The website will guide you through the process well and it only takes a few minutes. Below is a rough guide to the steps you will be asked to take:
- On the Ramsgate: St. George, Parish Giving page, click the button: “Give now”
- You need to register by filling in your name, address, phone number and email, then click ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page.
- You will be sent an activation email. Click “Activate Account” in the email and you will be taken to the next step on the website.
- You will be asked to create a password that is at least 10 characters long. You will need this to log in in the future, so that you can edit your details or change your giving.
- The next step is to fill in the amount you want to give, the start date for your first donation (donations are taken from your account on the first of the month) and how regularly you want to give (monthly / quarterly / annually). Most people would give monthly. Please take note of the month your donations through the Parish Giving Scheme will start. If you already give to St. George’s by Standing Order and are replacing that with giving by the Parish Giving Scheme, you will need to cancel any Standing Order with St. George’s in the month before this date, but preferably after that month’s gift to St. George’s.
- You will then be asked to fill in the details of the account that the direct debit will be paid from and confirm that this is a U.K. account and that you can authorise payment from the account by yourself.
- There are then some options. You can opt to have the amount you give increased by the rate of inflation each year. This helps to automatically increase your giving annually. After all the costs of the ministry and mission of the church increase by inflation each year! If you choose this option, you will still be given the option to opt out with an email sent to you a few weeks before the annual increase comes in.
- You can opt for them to claim gift aid. You can only do this if you are a taxpayer. Doing so, increases the value of your gift by 25%.
- You can opt for your giving to be anonymous. We recommend you do not tick this. Ticking it means that the treasurer cannot see who is giving through the scheme, which means he cannot make any allocations of your giving that you request. Only the treasurer will see who is giving through the Parish Giving Scheme, the information will not be shared with the vicar or anyone else.
- You can also opt to receive emails from St. George’s through the Parish Giving Scheme. We recommend that you do tick this – any emails are likely to be fairly rare, probably only once or twice a year.
- Once you have selected all these options, please ensure you scroll down and click “I confirm the details I have entered are correct.”
- You should then receive confirmation that your giving to St. George’s is set-up with the Parish Giving Scheme.